Lentil Bolognese is a comforting, plant-based one pot meal!
- 16 oz Shells Pasta, Whole Wheat
- 28 oz Crushed Tomatoes, Canned
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 Onion, minced
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup Vegetable Stock
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened Almond Milk (or milk of your preference)
- 14 oz Brown Lentils, can, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese, grated, plus extra for topping
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/8 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/4 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1/4 cup Nutritional Yeast (Optional)
- Heat a large stock pot with water. Add a pinch of salt to the water. Cook the pasta according to package directions. Before draining, set aside 1/2 cup pasta water.
- In a large skillet, add 1 tablespoon olive oil and then add the onion and sautee over medium heat for 7-10 minutes until softened. Turn the heat down to low and add the minced garlic, sautee for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
Next, add the crushed tomatoes, vegetable stock, onion powder, garlic powder, oregano, red pepper flakes, salt and ground black pepper. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
After 20 minutes add 1/2 cup of almond milk and the lentils. Stir and allow to simmer another 5 minutes.
Finally, add the Parmesan cheese, pasta and nutritional yeast (if using). If the pasta seems a too thick, add a few tablespoons of pasta water to thin.
To serve, spoon into bowls and top with a sprinkling of Parmesan. Serve hot and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 25
- Category: Dinner, Mediterranean, Vegetarian
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 366
- Sugar: 7g
- Sodium: 677mg
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 57g
- Fiber: 10g
- Protein: 16g
- Cholesterol: 5mg
Keywords: Lentils, Mediterranean, Plant-Based, Vegetarian